Sunday, June 2, 2013

Communication Styles

It was very interesting reviewing the evaluations of the way that I evaluated myself and the way I was evaluated by my family and co-workers.  I assumed that it would be different for family and co-workers and I hoped that I was somewhere in the middle of those groups.  Ironically, all of them were the same.  The thing that surprised me the most is the fact that I am moderately aggressive in my communication.  I would have never labeled myself aggressive.  However, the description was more able verbally standing up for your beliefs and that does not surprise me.

Two things I learned this week include a better understanding of self-disclosure and becoming familiar with self-denigration.  With self-disclosure you are revealing yourself to others by sharing information about yourself.  To count as self-disclosure in a relationship, the disclosure must be important; telling someone you like snacking on raw vegetables is not self-disclosure, but explaining to them the deeply held reasons why you became a vegetarian is (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).  The most negative assessment you can make about communication experience is self-denigration.  Self-denigration is criticizing or attacking yourself (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).  In my professional life I feel that keeping self-disclosure in check is important so that you are maintaining a level of professionalism in your work relationships.  However; just recently in Oklahoma we experienced significant tornadoes and one of my co-workers lost her home and in those types of situations self-disclosure becomes critical in the relationship.  I was unfamiliar with self-denigration and I do not think I have ever experienced this type of behavior in either my personal or professional life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill

    I had the same encounter as you, as others thought that we more aggressive verbally than what we were perceived. It could be our nonverbal cues or the tone we used in conversations have unintentional signals that others perceive as aggressive. Wong

    ReplyDelete