Friday, May 11, 2012

Tribute to Maurice Sendak

My Catharsis--Painting
According to Exchange Everyday the Fast Company made this observation about Sendak.  "Though he was routinely criticized by conservative groups for portraying what they saw as 'adult' themes, he stood his ground, maintaining that parents (and authors) need to be honest with children.  In his acceptance speech for the Caldecott Medal in 1964, he had this to say about how adults misrepresent childhood:

"'From their earliest years children live on familiar terms with disrupting emotions — fear and anxiety are an intrinsic part of their everyday lives, they continually cope with frustrations as best they can.  And it is through fantasy that children achieve catharsis.  It is the best means they hav e for taming wild things.'"


I loved that he said that "it is through fantasy that children achieve catharsis" because I think we all need a process of releasing our emotions.  I think it is so important for adults to learn to release our emotions as well.  Many of us are on this journey of life long learning so i think it is important for us to figure out our way of achieving catharsis for ourselves.  One of the things that I started back in January was going to a painting class.  They call it "Wine and Palette" and it is the best way to release because you get to drink wine and you have the opportunity to express yourself with the painting.  I am not a creative person at all in that way, but went with friends the first time just for a girls night out and I fell in love with it.  I am attaching one of my creations to this Blog posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment