Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Connection to Play

Play to me means outside and exploration.  I grew up on a farm in western Oklahoma and I spent hours outside playing in the dirt making mud pies and my other favorite was playing school with all of my dolls.  The following quotes I think are instrumental in my believes about play in my own personal life.


I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.

Dr. Seuss
US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go....

Dr. Seuss, Oh! The Places You'll Go!
US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)





I have included pictures of the books that I loved to read and use to play school with my dolls and some good old fashion dirt to represent my play in making mud pies with the picture of the old tin dish set.  This dish set looks exactly like the set I had a child.  Great memories.

My parents always allowed me to play and dream of all the possibilities that would come to life over the course of my lifetime.  I was a very independent child and have grown to be an independent adult.  Play was critical for me to figure out what I wanted in my life.  I wanted to help people as a teacher, but what I did not know was I wanted to help many teachers of young children.  Play is still an important part of my life and I am a firm believer that play is a necessary task in everyone's life.  Play opens the door for exploration and opens the mind to be creative.  My parents allowed me to explore and play all day everyday. 

I think one of the greatest issues for children today is that they are not allowed to play outside because of parental fear of danger in our neighborhoods.  I think it is crtical in today's society that we afford children the opportunity to learn to play in safe settings.  Child care centers are the perfect place for children to have the ability to explore, dream and think about the possibilities.  I have worked to create an environment in my home where my children played, explored and dreamed.  It is amazing to me that today as 22, 20, and 18 year olds they still have dreams and play still plays a major role in their lives as young adults.  If we teach children to play they will play for LIFE!!!
 

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Jill! Gotta say...I was a mud pie making fiend myself! Did you read my blog? My mother STILL thinks I force fed those mud cookies to my little brother! :) I also had dishes, pots, and pans similar to the ones you pictured. I don't remember mine looking quite so pristine, however. They were WELL used. And one more thing: I have step daughters who are 22, 20, and 18! (I have a 10 and 8 year old as well.) While I wasn't in to Dr. Seuss (I was all about The Tawny Scrawny Lion and The Scruffy Little Puppy), it seems as though we have much in common! Thanks for sharing!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea,

      WOW, we do have a lot in common. I must say that my tin dishes did not look this good, but I found this picture on goggle images for vintage tin dishes...LOL...now talk about making you feel old when you have to find your childhood toys under vintage.

      Thanks for sharing and I look forward to exploring more about our similarities.
      Jill

      Delete
  2. Jill,
    I really enjoy reading your blog! I hope someday to be able to spend more time on content then process! I agree with you about the crime in neighborhoods. I grew up in the city and then moved to the country at 6 years old. I can tell you we traveled the neighborhoods at all times of the day and night and even walked to a park without any fear of anything happening! Play is so important. I agree that preschools can be an alternative but I wonder how we can replace the independence of play amoung childre.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie,

      I am fearful of the loss our children are experiencing because of fear. Children need to be able to play without fear. Child care can provide an alternative, but because of the regulations they are not playing in the same way that I described from my childhood. I played out side in the mud making pies, eating pies and eating the green clovers. This will not happen in a child care center because of health and safety concerns.

      Thanks for sharing,
      Jill

      Delete
  3. Great post. We could have definitely been friends. Is it a requirement for all girls to make mud pies as a child? I also played school with my dolls and my younger cousins. They still say that I think I'm their mom. I actually had my brother playing doll with me. I used my cabbage patch dolls and he used a stuffed dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,
    I see that several of us have made mud pies in our day. I guess that was a sure fire way for children to connect and explore their creative side. As for dolls, I sometimes will get my daughter's dolls out and talk about the old days when I had dolls; especially the one's that were hand made. Man, those were the special one's. Today, I continue to buy dolls for my daughter and put them away for a "just in case moment". :) NICE POST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete