Saturday, July 7, 2012

Child Development and Public Health

The public health topic I chose is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) because it amazes me with all the research there is out there about SIDS that parents are still buying bumper pads for infant cribs.  According to the American Academy of Pediatrics parents should keep soft objects, loose bedding, or any objects that could increase the risk of entrapment, suffocation, or strangulation out of a crib (American Academy of Pediatrics, 2011).  If parents are not going to stop purchasing bumper pads I do think that it is critical and ethical for manufactures to stop making bumper pads because if they are a part of the "bedding set" parents are going to keep purchasing them.  This one of my personal pet peeves that by saving money and purchasing the bumper pad you may in fact be saving your babies life.  Additionally, putting the baby on their back to go to sleep for the first year of life again is a potential life saving measure for your baby.  Even with all the public awareness these two simple tasks are still not being taken by a great number of people and unfortunately we are still seeing many infants die due to SIDS.

In Australia there is new research that states by breastfeeding for the first six months exclusively and then continue to breastfeed until age one reduces the risk of SIDS by nearly half (Hofman, 2012).  This is just another way of protecting our babies with breastfeeding reducing their risk of SIDS as well as many other potential illnesses.

I think for me finding a way to educate new parents about the risk of SIDS should become a task for all early childhood professionals because we have access to the most current research to share with parents.  I also provide printout about the bedding, back to sleep and now I will also include information about breastfeeding as well in all of the baby shower gifts I give so it is my own little attempt to change the world one new parent at a time. 

American Academy of Pediatrics.  (2011, December 28).  Reducing the risk of SIDS.  Retrieved from http://www.healthychildren.org/english/ages-stages/baby/sleep/pages/Preventing-SIDS.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

Hofman, H. (2012, May 16).  Global Post.  Breastfeeding halves risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).  Retrieved from http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/120516/breastfeeding-halves-risk-of-sudden-infant-death-sydrome-s

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jill,
    Great post again,now i see why you call yourself a early childhood public policy junkie..lol.
    I feel that a lot of first time parents need a lot of training when it comes to having children. You are correct, it is our job to educate parents about certain information if they do not know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    As an administrator of an early learning program, I had the opportunity to work with parents who had lost a child to SIDS. They had done everything "right" but still, their baby died. It is one of the most frustrating things because a lot of times, there is no answer at all as to why a baby dies of SIDS. I give parents the utmost credit for their courage in having more children after they lose one to SIDS, and I thank God that I never had to suffer that kind of loss. I completely agree with you that parents should be diligent in preventing senseless deaths by not putting anything in the crib with thier baby! It's just not worth the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,
    It really is amazing that with all the research that parents are still not clear on the things that would help avaid this tragedy. I wonder if pediatricians are helping in this public awareness campaign.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I recently had a coworker loose her child to SIDS, and she did every thing right being that she was an early childhood professional. Watching her endure the loss and frustration of not really having a cause was upsetting. I agree with you that parents need to take the correct steps, our center promotes back to sleep, belly to play in our infant rooms. Education is really the key to helping new mothers with this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,

      I know that sometimes you can do everything right and it can still happen, but there are so many people that are not doing things the right way. I agree that they are not doing it the right way because they don't have the information needed to make the right decision. I know parents that have said if baby bumpers are dangerous they would not sell them. There are many things that are for sale that are dangerous, but as long as people will purchase they will sell. That is what frustrates me so much! I am so sorry about your coworker. I can't imagine loosing a child.

      Jill

      Delete
    2. Hello Jill,
      Your advocating for infants’ safety will surely result in positive changes in your environment. I agree that early childhood educators need to inform parents on physical and emotional safety. This is a challenging task for educators because they have to address sensitive and personal topics and have to be tactful to not offend anyone’s cultural background and values.

      Delete